Monday, August 11, 2008

N.Y.C SCHOOLS

In the article I've just finished reading about N.Y.C Schools by author, Jennifer Medina, I have found out some interesting facts about our New York City educational system. This article basically states that in recent years of taking surveys for parents and students, there has been great development within the N.Y.C school walls. Many teachers today are saying their schools maintain order and make it a priority to help student achieve. Mayor Bloomberg stated that for the first time, a major school system listened to the parents, children, teachers and principle instead of the usual behavior and act like they knew everything. The article also states how the percentage of students to walk through the halls that were scared 72% to the now lower 68% has continuously been dropping due to more a more safer environment.

The article also tells of students who made good grades but felt it never got them the type of respect they wanted. Parents say smaller classrooms would definitely change the environment in school. Parents that took the survey agree and feel very satisfied with their child's teacher. Despite giving their all to the child of the future becoming teachers, they have to deal with the central administration not listening to their concerns. More efforts were put forth to get more parents to take part in filling out the surveys.

I personally agree with a lot of what the essay states but I don't feel surveys will make the most of this. More efforts are obviously needed to make a better schooling system. The surveys are however, a smart tackle tot he problem and it is making some change. I also believe N.Y.C schools are becoming increasingly more favorable for the students and more enjoyable for everyone attending school including staff. I don't agree that all voices are being heard though. My school experience compared to this article is about the same thing. Transferring from my old school I noticed a dramatic change in everything. I was listened to more, helped out a lot more, enjoyed coming to school more often without having to worry about what type of problems I might get into that day. Smaller classrooms does help out a lot as well.

As for me taking any type of survey, no I haven't taken one before. However, I would definitely love to fill out one and have everyone see my opinion on NYC schools too. I used to find that the surveys were pointless and wouldn't be taken serious let alone looked at but I guess I was wrong. To an extent I'm pleased with my education. Money is what gets you the best education which I'm not fortunate to have tons of but I make what type of education I get worth it and enough to use to get me by and I just teach myself as I go along and you just learn form your surroundings as well. In my last school I thought the education there was terrible, I felt I would never be able to use my full potential for anything while I was there, but at my new school I see hope and that the teachers care more so I think the education is better in the sense of me being at a new school. I'm satisfied otherwise because I'm in school learning regardless.





No comments: